Friday, October 2, 2009
everyday observations
i have a very vivid memory from about 5 or 6 years ago. I was going to walmart (probably for no real purpose, just to browse and buy things i had no reason to spend money on) and as I approached the front of the building, I noticed an older gentleman walking along the side of the building - headed towards the soda machines. Now, I have a thing for older gentlemen. Not the creepy ones, but the ones that remind you of your grandpa, or of a time in the past where men wore suit jackets to baseball games, and always carried a handkerchief in their pocket. This particular older man was of the non-creepy group. Anyway, I slowed down to kind of watch him, and looked around to see if there was anyone with him. (I love watching older married couples interact together, and if he was alone I would probably have tried to befriend him because I hate for older people to appear lonely) I didn't see anyone with him, but as I continued watching him he went up to each soda machine and checked the compartment where change is released. Every single machine. It was comical and cute at the same time. It made me wonder what motivated him to do that - was he broke? did he need change for something? was this a habit he had developed years ago that he did unconsciously? i stopped and giggled, and then went on my way because well, let's face it. standing in the middle of the road, giggling at an older man's antics isn't exactly normal. but everytime i go to a walmart, i think of that man and wonder what he's doing now...and if he ever found that extra change.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's interesting what memories pop up at unusual times. I am a people-watcher too and often wonder what their "story" is.
ReplyDeleteThis is the perfect kind of "everyday thing" that could inspire an essay or another piece of writing.
ReplyDelete