Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Getting Started

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started." - Agatha Christie

Okay, so originally I noticed this quote because I really enjoy reading Agatha Christie mysteries and it's always fun to see a quote by someone you "know." But then it kind of stuck with me - partly because it's so simple to remember, but also because it's a simple concept that seems so difficult for me to follow. I have a bad habit of always wanting to just be finished, without having to take the time to actually start. Like, wanting to be done w/a paper or project but putting off actually beginning. Or wanting to be "grown up" without having to face responsibilities that are all part of the process. But when it all comes right down to it, you can never get ahead if you don't start in the first place. It doesn't have to be perfect the first time you try, and it might take you awhile once you begin, but you'll never get anywhere unless you...well, just start. See how simple that is? So, that's my personal challenge this semester. I'll never accomplish anything without beginning (now "Doe a Deer" from Sound of Music is running through my head...), so what better time to start than now?
That being said...I'm off to start reading the chapters for this week. =)

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you chose this quote. Most of us at some time want to be done with something w/o actually starting it. If we all get going, just start, on a project, task, chore, we will be able to get it done more quickly. We should all try to procrastinate less, and just get started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know I have on more than one occasion have become stuck grinding my gears, not able to get started on something. It can be so frustrating but at the same time the solution can be so simple, just do it. Hey some company should use that for a slogan or something. :-D

    ReplyDelete