Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Christmas Traditions

I love traditions. Traditions of any kind, really, but especially Christmas traditions. We always had a lot growing up, and I love being able to incorporate my past with the traditions Jeff and I are creating for our family.

When we were growing up, we didn't do Santa Clause. Ever. My parents aren't heartless or anything, but they didn't see the point in basically lying to us children. They expected us to be obedient and good without fear of being added to a naughty list, and Christmas was always about celebrating the birth of Christ without commercialism added in. But I never felt like I missed out on anything. We didn't have very much money (my dad was a preacher, my mom stayed home with four kids...you do the math), so we each were allowed to pick one main present that we wanted for christmas and then we always got a stocking (filled with a piece of fruit, a pez dispenser with candy, and other little odds and ends my mom would pick up throughout the year). My mom would stack presents we'd received from extended family members on top of a hutch all throughout the month, and on Christmas eve my dad would don a santa hat (looking back, i really don't know why since we didn't do santa), and the four kids would line up and carry the presents from the hutch (in one room) to the tree (in a different room). It was always so much fun, and we'd shake the gifts and try and guess what we got. We'd put out cookies and write letters to santa (again, it doesn't make sense), and then all 4 kids would sleep in one room that night. The next morning we'd wake up (my parents would give a set time we couldn't leave the room until), and sing christmas carols to wake up my parents. Then we'd wait in the living room until they got there, and we'd first open our stockings. Then my dad would hand out the gifts under the tree, and we'd open those. We actually didn't receive our main present from my mom and dad on christmas because they couldn't usually afford them, so we'd keep our christmas tree up until those presents had been purchased (ususally sometime in february), and celebrate a second christmas at that time. I loved that. It kept the season going well into the winter blues.

I have such fond memories of those traditions, and I hope that we can create new and memorable traditions for our kids as well. Some are borrowed from my side, some from Jeff's, and some we created all on our own. Like, I wrap up 24 christmas books and put them under the kids' christmas tree, and everynight they can unwrap one book to read before bed. We also do the "one main present" per kid, but thankfully we have been blessed where we can have christmas all on one day. We don't do santa at our house, but we talk about who St. Nicholas was and the spirit of that side of christmas. We also adopt a family, and buy presents for them and then have a birthday party for Jesus (early on in the month) in order to drive home how precious His gift was to us and how we need to be His examples, and give sacrificially as well. On Christmas eve we put the kids to bed, and then Jeff and I put on a Christmas movie (we take turns picking - this year is his turn so it could be interesting), and wrap the kids' presents before going to bed.

I know it's a long blog. It's okay if you've quit reading before now. But i love traditions, and I love talking about traditions.
What are some of your family traditions??

1 comment:

  1. You have some wonderful traditions. It's great when a couple blends the traditions. We did that too. We always did Santa gifts and now Santa usually wraps a gift or 2 for each of us (I think I enjoy that part more than the boys). It's so different with the kids older. I try to keep a little of the magic of Christmas as well as the real reason for Christmas. We usually go to Mass on Christmas Eve and do a special dinner that evening. And Christmas day we have a nice meal, but it's not too elaborate. I don't want to be in the kitchen all day. Hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete