Friday, October 30, 2009

what is beautiful?

I thought about changing the topic of my research paper - i'm still mulling it over, but odds are I'll save this new topic for another day. I'm really becoming interested in the concept of beauty - what it is, what we teach others that it is, and what affect that has had on us. I've always struggled with wanting to be "beautiful" - tall, thin, "model-esque" and I think secretly I believed that when I got older, those desires would disappear and I would simply become content with who I was because I was older. It's been interesting to discover that not only have those desires not "simply disappeared" but I'm fighting them just as much - if not more - than I ever did in high school and my first round in college. I teach junior and senior high girls at my church, and it's always a topic that seems to hit someone at some time - what really is beautiful? So, I thought about doing some research on the topic, comparing historical values of beauty -from ancient days (like the venus figurine) through various civilizations up to now. I truly believe beauty is something that you are from within- not something you look like on the outside - but it's not something I always remember...even as I'm trying to talk myself out of this topic, it's on my mind. Now that I have a daughter, I don't want her to grow up knowing/having those struggles. I want her to be confident in who she is, and never doubt she is beautifully and wonderfully made. And I know I'll have to be the one to teach her that...which means it's gotta start with me. Hmmm. Lots to ponder before bed.

1 comment:

  1. That's a difficult topic because so much is wrapped up in the word "beauty." Most of us struggle with our internal beauty (knowing that is what really matters) but comparing that to society's views on external beauty. It's complex and not easy to define, explore, understand.

    ReplyDelete