Saturday, October 17, 2009

RP ideas

I'm just not sure what I want to research... I have various ideas of topics that are interesting to me, but I need to figure out what will be the best to devote my time/energy to actually researching and writing about.
The top 4 topics are:
Standardized Testing (why do we do standardized testing? is it really beneficial? what is the purpose? what do other countries do to measure intelligence? is it possible to accurately measure intelligence? is standardized testing the best way to measure intelligence? if not, what is?)

Auto Insurance State Minimums (why does each state create their own state minimums for bi/pd? the national gov't is involved in everything else - why not the auto insurance industry - why are those laws left up to the state gov'ts? Are the state minimums really enough to protect drivers? How do you determine an appropriate state minimum? why is bi/pd mandatory?)

Homeschooling (why the stigma? pros/cons for students and families? does it affect post-secondary education? is it necessary to have a degree in education to teach? why did teachers start getting college degrees/training? how has school/education evolved? is it better? worse?)

Social Aid, Like WIC, Food Stamps, State Insurance (why were these programs originally created? how have they evolved? what is the criteria to be eligible for these programs? how does the program follow up on the integrity/honesty of the applicant? are social handouts just enabling the current situation? should there be a time period when state aid is no longer available? just because you qualify for state aid, does that mean you should take advantage of it?)

We'll see which topic wins out...

2 comments:

  1. Personally I like the topics on Standardized Testing and Homeschooling but I think any of the four would make up a good essay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. all of the topics have potential and there should be sources of information. It's a matter of preference.

    ReplyDelete